Your Online Multi-presence Part 2
Welcome to my www World
by Anna Marie Piersimoni
The best way to get started is to answer a few questions that will lead to how much content and design will be warranted:
Who is the website for – the general public, clients, other professionals?Who are these “individuals” and what are their needs? What kind of information will be helpful?
What do you want your site visitors to do when they get there – call for a consultation, sign up for your mailing list, subscribe to a newsletter, purchase your book?
Do you know what your colleagues are doing? Have you checked out their websites?
What makes your site environment welcoming? One that conveys the unique value, style and philosophy of your particular practice and methods in a consistent and easy to use manner. Consider these as you plan:
- What media is required – photos, graphic images, video, animation?
- Keywords – these are words or phrases that search engines use to identify and rank your site. Besides the obvious Psychotherapy, counseling, etc. – what else is a draw for you practice – location, demographics?
- Are there any technical, business or content conventions to follow?
- What are your colleagues doing?
- Integration with social media platforms – Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter? You should have a consistent tone and branding across all of them.
- Content management – creating and keeping track of published material, drafts, elements of text and images. How can you keep it fresh and manageable?
- Ongoing site maintenance – there will be software updates, hosting service issues as well as design and content changes.
Once decisions about content, style and function are addressed, we can start to talk about cost. In Part 3, we’ll discuss the elements that can drive the price up, but also add value and richness to your site.
Anna Marie Piersimoni is an independent consultant in multi-platform media production and marketing. She is a former Director of Internet Communications and a video and broadcast television promotion producer.